Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Certainly Learned My Lesson

I have been hearing these words from the mouths of adults a lot lately. They are usually used in anger towards someone who has not done what one has expected. It has really made me start thinking about that concept... "I have learned my lesson"  Really?? Have I?? Or have I actually UNLEARNED a lesson or two.

You see, I believe the most important lessons in life are learned very early on when we are so close to our God...We love unconditionally as little people...we give without expecting something in return...we trust those around us. I believe we begin to unlearn these lessons as we "mature"and the world hurls pain at us from so many unexpected places.

My mother used to point out to me that I could never go anywhere without bringing something back to my family...it was something I always did as a little girl. I gave...with no expectations. It made me so happy, and still does.
When Adam was a youngster, he was like that...He took his hard earned money at Christmas time and bought "special" gifts for each of his cousins and grandparents. He was so proud, as he passed them around to each family member. Though I cannot remember what he gave to all...he picked out what he thought would make them happy. My mother's cat figurine was so very special to her, because Adam had picked it out for her.

Then, later, Dean and I got to spend some "bonding" time individually with the grandkids on their birthdays. We felt that maybe the kids would remember the experiences with their grandparents, more than they would remember the "presents". We had some great experiences at Chuck E. Cheese, Celebration Station, Putt Putt Golf, Mosi, and The Florida Aquarium in Tampa.

Each time, we successfully encouraged each grandchild to bring something home to their siblings. They got a kick out of that...Ruthie and Rusty, being older, quickly picked things out for the others, and then spent time choosing for themselves. BUT...when Flip turned 5, and we were allowed to take him to the Aquarium.....well...he taught us a lesson. It was so natural to him, and he thought very hard about each present..for Rusty, a "snow globe", which Rusty collects. For Ruthie he carefully chose a stuffed animal, which he knew she would love. Then, not even thinking about picking something out for himself, he proceeded to go straight to the toys, which he knew his Dad would enjoy and play with him. Then, it was over to the emery boards that he felt his Mom would love and use....He was so involved in picking things out for others, that he had to be encouraged to get something for himself. At that moment, he reminded me so of Adam, as a little guy....

No, I think we have already learned the lessons we need, as little people. It is so sad that we have to UNLEARN those lessons and not remember the joy in giving ourselves to others...loving others more than ourselves...and treating all people with the same love and grace that God has heaped on us..Oh, to be 5 again!!!

No comments: