Monday, September 21, 2009

Angels Part 2

I went back , wayyyyy back for this story about angels in my life.

I was about 10, and had spent the night with a friend in Umatilla. I was dropped off at our house earlier than Mama and Daddy expected, 'cause the rest of my family was at a rodeo, which left me alone with just this pitiful grasshopper, that my sister, Mim, had closed up in a glass jar. Obviously she intended to let the poor insect die a cruel and grisly death, so I was going to do something about THAT. No, NOT because I truly cared about the life of that yucky grasshopper, I had ended many a beautiful butterfly's life in a similar fashion, for my "collection". Don't get excited, this was way before the "green" movement. No, I was just being my normal mean self. I knew Mimmie would be really mad that I had SAVED her grasshopper.

So, I went to the drawer and pulled out a butcher knife. I know folks my age remember how easy it was to pop holes in the metal lid of a jar, with a knife. And, I, too was creating many air "slashes" until..ooops, I missed the jar, and the knife went in between the thumb and first finger of my left hand. I was too young to know what I had done, but it was bleeding in a very "funny" way. It seemed to be spurting up out of the wound.

I went to the bathroom to get some gauze to wrap up and stop the bleeding, but it just bled right through. I unwrapped that gauze and wrapped another "package" around the wound..still no luck. So what else was I to do?? I went out to the "Florida" room and sat and cried while I held my hand.

Then, my angels... My neighbor, across Windemere St., just happened to be walk outside to get something...he could hear my cries, because in the days of no air conditioning, all the jalousie windows were open. He came in, swooped me up, and took me to the Emergency Room.

By the time my frantic Daddy, who had found all the blood, when he came home ahead of the rest of the family, got to the Emergency Room, I was stitched up and ready to go home.

My angels were certainly watching over me that day!!! Hey Mim, did that grasshopper ever get his??

No comments: