Friday, June 6, 2008

Soul Mate

Today, I am going back to something easy. I have read the incredible love that has been deservedly heaped on your husbands...I just hope they all know how much they are loved! But remember, they are guys....they are probably NOT reading your blogs...if they do, they will most likely be so overwhelmed they might run out and buy some flowers!! So...if you want those flowers...TELL them.... oh, and yes, tell them how much you like flowers, what color, what kind....you know the drill....

The love of my life, my soul mate, Dean. No, I did not recognize God's attempt to put this wonderful person in my life. As a matter of fact, I tried to get him to date my friend.....It seemed perfectly logical to me...He was very tall, she was very tall..He was a swimmer, she was a former swimmer.... He had blond hair and blue eyes...she had blond hair and blue eyes...you get the picture, With a human heart, I looked at both of them, and thought that would be a great match.
With a divine heart, that can see the inside of a person, God consistently went about making the perfect match .

Dean says that he was sure I was going to ask him to the Bryan Hall ( my freshman dorm) Christmas Party ,when I walked up to him and started talking to him about the event. When I asked him to ask my roommate, instead, he graciously did exactly that. You see, I know now, that God had already spoken to him. We didn't know each other very well at that point, but he already knew?? I finally began noticing the hints at the event. The short, but extremely "handsome" guy I had asked to this event, wouldn't even get his hands dirty, as we papered our RAs' room. For those of you who are young and may not connect those dots; RAs were, I think the initials stood for Residence Assistants, upperclassmen who had a room at the end of the hall to "keep an eye" on us young girls!! Papering the room consisted of balling up newspapers...filling an area directly behind the door, so that when you opened your door it all spills harmlessly on top of you. Hey, don't laugh...we thought that was pretty rebellious!!
Anyway....Dean dove in happily and suddenly, I actually noticed this tall, blond hair, blue eyed swimmer.

I've always said that his height is what keeps short people from knowing the "Real" Dean. After all, the tallest boy I had ever seen to that point was another swimmer, isn't that odd? He was , maybe, 6"1"...Dean was 6' 5"...doesn't seem like a lot, but when you are 5'3"....well that is really tall!!

We went on our first date, the day after Spring Break...we spent the entire afternoon, after swim team practice, at the pool. Did I mention that he was a swimmer??
Did the fact that he wanted to dirty his hands let me know that he was my soul mate? That should have been enough, but no, God has been developing all of this over 41 years, thousands of fears, and millions of tears, both happy and sad. Soul mates are not our priorities, but God's.
As Lori put it in her blog...Sometimes priorities may be the same...and that would be an individual's choice. I believe that Adam is happy that we heard the message.... He would have been a lot shorter, with darker hair, and not much of a swimmer!! :)

Thank you , Lord for allowing me to see your will. Thank you for not letting the "world" get in the way .... Please let me see the perfection of your will in all things, as you have in the choice of my soul mate .

1 comment:

twig said...

I recognize this story--glad it had a happy ending. Good to hear from you. Love, the tall, blond former swimmer.